Monday, December 6, 2010

Sorry Guys

But I've been really busy. And my internet doesn't work in my room anymore (hooray! NOT) so it's been more difficult than usual to work. I finally gave up on it working and have moved my non-IES Center operations to Sean's room and that works. But back to what you really care about: my trip to Riga, Stockholm, and London.

Riga:
So we get in to Riga on its national independence day (19 November) to be greeted by darkness and cold. Great. We also had to get on the bus by 5:30 so it was a long day. We get in, put our stuff in our rooms, and head back downstairs to the hotel conference room to begin "Riga as Text" aka, what would become my WORST NIGHTMARE. Now, I am one for lounging around pretty much any chance I get, but I consider it mandatory for survival that one relaxes after a long day of buses, planes, and taxis. No one else thought about that though. So we are given a brief intro to the city and then thrown out with little to no instructions to find certain places in the city. When I asked our speaker for some directions, he literally giggled with glee and told me to go ask someone on the street. So that set my mood for the evening. Plus, my group (Christine, Jack, Kayla, and myself) couldn't really find what we were supposed to so that was lame. Then we ate food and watched fireworks! Very cool. And Latvian food is delicious and super cheap. Bonus! The next day, we saw the aftermath of the night before (a guy with no shoe, a girl whose boyfriend was trying to keep her upright) and went to hear an awesome professor. She was super amazing and a great speaker. She was really interesting and very engaging, so it was a good meeting. Then we had a lunch break and after lunch, we had a meeting with an economist. Which for me was semi-boring because econ. Then that night was what people on our trip called "The Treaty of Riga" because it was the night the most shit went down. I won't go into detail here because most people already know about it and if you really care, I'll tell you. Anyway, the next day we were free so we walked around Riga, went up a church tower, saw a museum, and got some cool earrings. Then we boarded the boat to Stockholm!

Also I'm bored so I'll finish this shit later.

No comments:

Post a Comment