Sunday, September 19, 2010

Prague

Even though Berlin was before Prague, we spent less time here and I liked it less so I will write about the Czech Republic first.

Basically, and I mean this in the most polite way I can mean it, Prague is a shithole. Everyone raves about the architecture, but other than the red tile roofs (which you can only see from above anyway) the buildings aren't anything extraordinary. Also, Czech is just a really difficult language because it isn't Romance or Germanic (aka most European languages, English...) so getting around was rough.

And I mean, it wasn't like our trip leaders didn't warn us it was a shithole. We got a booklet about Prague, and one of the things it mentioned was how the taxis ripped you off. Since I prefer public transportation and they give us passes for it, I ignored this because I wasn't planning on taking a taxi anyway. Then we get off the train. Merle warns us that Prague is apparently FULL of pickpockets. So then I started eyeing everyone from toddlers to old ladies as if they might snatch my purse. Then, as we were leaving our hotel, we were basically informed that even our ROOMS were not safe and we would be robbed blind no matter what. So why the hell did they take us here?

Also, to make it short my friend Cassidy and I went to "Central Europe's Largest Nightclub" (which should've been our first warning) and learned that pepper spraying the dancefloor is totally normal in Europe. And my favorite jacket smells like cigarettes. And has to be drycleaned. BOOOO. Anyway, then trying to get to the train and seats on the train for going back to Freiburg were a disaster but it all worked out in the end. I think having a getraenke helped. If you want detailed stories, please skype me and I can go into annoying detail about everything that really happened.

One awesome thing: got a sweet pair of kicks. BONUS!

I'll write about Berlin soon but Gossip Girl is calling my name...

1 comment: