Monday, September 6, 2010

Since my last update, I guess stuff has happened? I don't remember what day it was when I last wrote here. Not that long ago, I think.

But this weekend, I got to go to the Black Forest (aka, Schwarzwald in German) and hike around. It was really beautiful and the weather was perfect. I met a guy who goes to college with my friend Raechel from high school, so that was fun too. Then that night I went to a beer garden on the Dreisam River with two of my friends here and because I hadn't eaten for a few hours, I got tipsy off a tiny bottle of champagne I had on the way to the tram stop. Public drinking is legal here, and despite what the IES staff said, it is not just for the homeless. Young people do it too. Since I am young and it was small and would have fit in my purse anyway, I decided to embrace this forward-thinking law and enjoy it. Some old woman sitting on a bus glared at me but since we had a pane of glass between us I felt safer. Then we were going to go to a club but one of my friends didn't bring any sort of ID with her so we headed back to Vauban. Then we discovered that our dorm's bar (Vaubar! Every dorm should have a bar. These Germans have almost everything) was actually OPEN for once, so we went in. Some weird German guy started talking to me and offered me some of his beer but I politely declined because beardos are kinda creepy. They also have shots for a euro so it's definitely a place to check out again.

Sunday was just chilling and trying to do homework and going to bed early. I like being up early because you don't have to share the city or the tram with that many people, so it's nice.

That brings us to today. So the laundry system here is based on a card that you put some money on and then insert into a machine blah blah blah. This wouldn't be a big issue EXCEPT they only sell the cards in the morning from 8:30 to 9:30 and on Thursday afternoons from 2:00 to 3:00. Unfortunately, Our classes start at 9, and I really don't want to miss class so that I can have a laundry card. However, I would REALLY REALLY like some clean clothes to wear. But I don't have a laundry card. And I'm not sure what to do about it. Ugh. I miss Whitman laundry.

MY LIFE IS SO EXCITING, Y'ALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment