Well, I made it to Germany in one piece, and finally have the internet working in my room. Hallelujah. After a rough first night of crying (or attempting to) and wanting my parents more than I ever have, I woke up super early only to feel fairly refreshed for someone who felt so terrible the night before. During orientation, I learned that the emotions I had felt the previous evening are known as "culture shock." Thanks, IES! Also, one of the women who works for IES and is German doesn't like beer. So I think the odds are in my favor that my opinion towards it will not change. I also bought a bottle of wine today, because I can and it is my first legal purchase, and I got carded at the Aldi. I didn't realize this at first, because she was saying it in German, but she finally pointed at the bottle and I showed her my Texas driver's license since our passports are away getting our visas at the moment. I was half-surprised she took it but that was good. Also, I guess that means I don't even look 18? Grrrreat.
I think I will be getting a cellphone tomorrow (I know you care) and I think that will just make me even happier and better off because now I will be able to contact others in the program with relative ease.
I'm glad you made it! I'm sorry about the rough first night, but I'm sure it will only get easier after this. Expect a fb message soon about my trip to Walla Walla. miss you!
ReplyDelete